Monday, August 20, 2012

FOXNews.com: Phyllis Diller was a one-of-a-kind comedy inspiration

FOXNews.com
FOX News Network - We Report. You Decide. // via fulltextrssfeed.com
Phyllis Diller was a one-of-a-kind comedy inspiration
Aug 21st 2012, 02:02

When I was 11, I saw Phyllis Diller on a talk show, maybe Merv Griffin or Mike Douglas, and she was explaining her comedy: "You have to make them laugh, and just when they think they're done laughing, you have to hit them again."

And I remember nodding, thinking, right on Phyllis! I knew what she meant.

I didn't know I would someday be a stand-up comedian just like her, and I didn't know I would do exactly that, but I felt a kinship with this outrageous hilarious woman.

I later befriended her, while doing "The Bob Hope Ladies of Laughter" special in the early '90s, and then I met her family at the Friar's Club, where she referred to me as just "Liebman."  I loved being on Phyllis's unique and entertaining holiday card mailing list. The return address sometimes read, "Phyllis Diller is funny."

Phyllis was one of one of a kind. I am heartbroken today.

Wendy Liebman is a stand-up comedian whose special "Taller on TV" aired on Showtime.

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this feed at blogtrottr.com.

If you no longer wish to receive these emails, you can unsubscribe from this feed, or manage all your subscriptions

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Great HTML Templates from easytemplates.com.